We all want to grow to our full potentials. We all want to be a better version of ourselves. Fitness and health should not be confined only to celebrities or people with good buck only who can afford expensive personal trainers or nutritionist. Spirulina for Weight Loss is an ideal supplement for your health.
After adding the essential nutrients into my diet like Vitamin D, Magnesium, Krill oil and Prebiotics, I was ready to take my life to next level.
I was already feeling the energy, the clarity of mind, the motivation to get things done, the positivity, But, like said I wanted to see what life has more to offer. I am taking you all with me to my journey of feeling Superhuman.
We all are bombarded with lots of information every day about health. Eating diversified food if definitely helpful, for overall health but nothing was worth motivating me to write. I write only about those things which bring a huge difference in life. Once I see that light, I cannot stop myself from sharing to you all.
I am doing 3 times a week HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) since this is the fastest way to lose weight with so many other additional benefits. The next part of my life that yet has to be hacked was Muscle Recovery. HIIT involved muscles so intensely, my cramps would not go fast. Next 48 hours after an HIIT workout was terrible for me.
Spirulina for Muscle Recovery
I always knew that Spirulina is high in protein. It is a complete protein containing all essential amino acids. It is also rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, K, and E, which are all majorly important for repairing muscle tissue. But, it has so profound effect, I did not know that. It is 60 percent protein, which is very important for building the body.
Comparison of the protein content
100 calories Spirulina: 20 Grams of Protein
100 calories Beef: 7,6 Grams of Protein
100 calories Chicken: 20 Grams of Proteins
Other Health Benefits of Spirulina
Spirulina for Weight Loss
On the right, you can see nutrients provided by 100-gram Spirulina.
Now, if you want to have so many nutrients from the food, you have to eat tons and tons of calories along with it.
10 Grams Spirulina has just 29 Calories only, but the nutrient profile is outstanding.
It is also observed that it can keep you full for longer times. Drink Spirulina powder before meals (always wait 20-30 minutes to eat). The taste outweighs the benefits. In the beginning, I hated the taste, but now I am used to it.
For snacks between meals I often make a smoothie for me, but when I am running short on time, I add I tablespoon my green powder mix with Spirulina in water and have it. It kills my cravings and I feel very energetic after having it.
Cravings, it sounds simple, but when you have it due to drop in blood sugar level, you will grab anything to eat and kills your weight loss efforts. Next time when you experience this urge to eat something immediately, take some Spirulina powder in the water and cook something healthy for yourself.
Let me know if it worked for you.
Nutrient profile of Spirulina
Spirulina is extremely nutritious. It is:
- Richest plant source of GLA (an Essential Fatty Acid similar to Omega 3): Important for heart and joint.
- 48 times more iron than raw spinach: Iron is always something women should keep testing. The majority of women that experience unexplained fatigue, is maybe due to the Iron deficiency. The iron in Spirulina is in the bioavailable form. Years back, when I was anemic, I tried so many different brands of Iron tablets, every time I will suffer from side-effects like Nausea or Muscle cramps. It was so hard back then to find a suitable brand. But, changing my lifestyle and diet, my blood profile does not shows any deficiencies at all. But, I hope I knew this source back then.
- 12 times more iron than beef liver. Anyways who likes eating liver yuk!
- Ten times the amount of bio-available protein as steak and Contains 64% protein compared to meat.
- Richest source of antioxidants – necessary for health, and anti-aging
- The richest source of vitamin A: For your eyes.
Spirulina for Detoxification
Even if you live in the cleanest cities of the world, like Switzerland or Denmark. Still, our body accumulates toxins. Accept that toxins are everywhere. We accumulate in smoke from cars, pesticides in the food chain, plastic packaging, pollution etc. Our body has its own detox system, but if the body gets overload with these toxins (which is the case with most of us), it can lead to various health problems.
Before we face a major threat to your health, it is good to detox our body.
I know on the internet there are several Detox Diets and Protocols. I don’t follow them, as they are mostly liquid diet based, which deprives the body of essential nutrients and are not so powerful. Instead, I have added products like Charcol, Spirulina in my diet.
This blue-green alga is are extremely effective at binding and removing toxins from our body.
Food as a detoxifier means it will bind to the heavy metals in your body, consumed from outside and will remove them. Toxins are also accumulated in the FAT cells of our body.
Whenever we do some activity that targets your Fat cells in the body like Fasting, Saunas or Exercise, toxins are released into the bloodstream. In order to bind these Toxins to take Spirulina immediately before Exercise or a Sauna Session.
A study published in 2010 by Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise (MSSE) involved 9 “moderately trained” males. Each received either 6 grams of spirulina powder per day or a placebo for 4 weeks. The conclusion was that the spirulina supplements “induced a significant increase in exercise performance and fat oxidation
Spirulina for Energy and Mood
Spirulina naturally releases nitric oxide in the body, which provides immediate and enduring physical and mental energy.
Nitric Oxide (NO) as an intracellular messenger regulating one of the body’s most important processes – blood flow. It widens the blood vessels so that more nutrient rich blood can flow resulting in more energy
It is also beneficial for:
1. Protecting your Brain: Taking Spirulina may also protect the brain from degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
2. Regulating blood sugar levels
3. Eliminates Candida
4. Help Manages HIV/Aids
I take my multivitamin every day. But, I do believe that the creator has all available in nature, we just have to discover it or use it properly. I believe in natural supplements more than the lab-made ones and Spirulina is nature´s whole food supplement. My aim is to one day get rid of all the tablets, nourishing our body naturally from the creator’s food.
Spirulina is even believed to fight World Malnutrition because of its nutrients density.
When consuming, Spirulina has a record of safety, even at high doses.
- For Adults: 3 grams/day
- For Children: 1 gram/ day
It is best to start with a small dose and work your way up. If your body is accepting it well, which will in most of the cases. For therapeutic use can even use 10 grams per day for adults. Spread out to twice or thrice a day, consuming not more than 2 grams each serving
Time Taken: Take Spirulina 20 minutes before your meal, on an empty stomach for maximum nutrient absorption
How to consume Spirulina
In the beginning add to your juices, smoothies or you can even bake with them. Like shown, you can take powder or tablets like you like.
There are so many superfoods with different advantages, so some manufacturers have done great work by combined the superfoods. Like the one I take is a green powder and the ingredient says Spirulina, Chlorella, Macca and other antioxidants and all ingredients are organic.
So, do your own research.
Spirulina Side Effects
The side effects are similar to the one you have after eating high protein diet like any meat. For example:
- Much passing of Gas: This is just the indication that your digestive system is not working properly. Although the protein in Spirulina is highly digestible.
- Sleepiness: Detoxification process causes sleepiness
- Itchy skin
- Your poo might be green as well
- New research is showing that Spirulina might deplete your B12 stores. It is always important to know the side-effects and positive effects of anything before adding it to your diet.
Best sources of Spirulina
Like there is the danger of pesticides, molds, and toxins in our day to day food. Spirulina could also be contaminated from the sea water. There are certain things that we need to take care of before buying Spirulina and that is:
- Country of Origin
Japan is the largest producer and consumer of spirulina. Due to Fukushima nuclear incident, don’t buy spirulina originated from Japan. Call the company and ask them, from where they are buying Spirulina.
When harvested correctly from non-contaminated ponds and bodies of water, it is completely safe.
2. Do not use spirulina that has been exposed to heat drying: heat damages the active enzymes in the algae. These enzymes are very useful for the body. Just check the company website and look how they dry their product. Air drying is much superior.
3. Packing: Look for non-transparent vacuum packages, or containers, which have a stable shelf life of over two years. Place in a cool dry place, away from Sunlight. Spirulina because if its green color has chlorophyll in it that reacts to the sunlight. As soon as the light starts to hit the algae, the nutrients in the chlorophyll start to lose their potency.
It is not necessary to refrigerate it. But, if you want you can.
4. Get Certified, Organic and non-genetically modified (non-GMO) algae.
When the University of British Columbia collected samples from the shelves in the Canadian market, 14 out of 39 were contaminated.
So, there are test reports of the manufacturers that need to be read.
The product I recommend is one by Dr. Mercola. I have personally done the deep analysis and also visited their sourcing facility. This is the one I trust the most and you can buy it here
If you have found a better product on the market, do not forget to mention it in the comment section, so that all readers can benefit from it.